Thursday, February 08, 2018

Flag bearer chosen in US Winter Olympics. 2014 feat of the greatest moment in USA Luge history.

Luge the Olympic Winter sport that is very unknown, is now getting some attention.

Erin Hamlin, was just named the Flag bearer.

She won the 2014 Bronze Medal, an accomplishment; the AP expressed was "a feat that will surely go down as perhaps the greatest moment in USA Luge history". Getting the only single Medal for the USA in Luge history. Being the 2nd Female in Luge to hold the Flag, it is well deserved by Erin Hamlin as she finally got the USA a luge win the previous sequence. The first female Luge competitor to hold the flag was Cammy Myler in 1994; it's great to see awareness for the sport and for the female side of the sport since 24 years. Now with an accomplished, Medal winning Luge champion.

This will be her last Olympic game, as she will be retiring; saying "I can now officially, officially say that I'm done. Done. Now that I'm qualified I can say that I'm out [after the Games]."

Wednesday; Hamlin was told by Alan Ashley, at first Hamlin wondered if something happened and scared herself thinking bad news was brewing.

“He told me and I was like, ‘Wait, officially?'” Hamlin said baffled, wondering.

When her family learned, they just couldn't hold in the happiness. Coming out in tears and emotion; her brother swiftly gave some great advice; 'Don't drop the flag'.

 “The nerves will be flying for sure,” Hamlin said. “I slide. That’s what I do. Put me at the top of the track, that’s my happy place. Walking out in front of a lot of people and even more watching from home, hoping to not trip over my own feet or drop the flag is going to be way more nerve-wracking.”

 She is so happy to end her last Olympic game bearing the flag and showing off, Luge to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment